How many pilots are in a cockpit?
More pilots, longer shifts
Hopefully there will be three pilots on board on such a long flight. The flight time is around eleven to twelve hours. Whether two or three pilots are on board, however, depends on the deployment time. The regulation of the so-called flight duty period or FDP (Flight Duty Period) is central. Incidentally, this is often limiting even on short-haul flights. Because we often fly three or four flights a day on short-haul routes. This results in very long operating times of over 10 hours.
For example, we have a maximum flight duty time of 13 hours for two-pilot crews. This usually begins an hour before the flight and ends when the aircraft is parked after the last flight. A third pilot is needed to extend flight duty times. A crew of 3 pilots can therefore work longer than a crew of 2 pilots.
Up to 18 hours
Depending on the possibility of recreation during the flight, the flight duty times in a three-pilot crew can be around 16 to 18 hours. In order to achieve even longer operating times, a fourth pilot would then be needed. All pilots are in the cockpit during take-off and landing. During the flight there are two pilots in the cockpit and the third takes a break.
With these limited flight duty times, one should not forget that they are actually designed for the safety of passengers. Unfortunately, there are often missions that go to the limit of these flight duty times - and sometimes even beyond. The accident rate increases by 65 percent if a pilot is on duty for between 10 and 12 hours. After 13 hours of use, the accident rate even increases to 500 percent. At the European level, flight duty times are unfortunately not limited, but rather relaxed. You can find valuable information on this atflugdienstzeiten.de. The danger in aviation today is that the unbelievable cost pressure is putting more and more pressure on safety. And that makes flying cheaper, but not safer.
[image2] What you always wanted to know about flying but didn't dare to ask: A pilot from a large airline answers readers' questions exclusively for aeroTELEGRAPH. He remains anonymous in order to be able to answer independently. Just send us an email to [email protected] One of the questions sent will be answered every week. The name of the sender will be published. There is no right to answer.
- How is smoke visible to the eyes?
- Regina is bigger than Winnipeg
- What are the types of AIESEC
- Supporting gay rights is seen as political
- When will Afghanistan attack and conquer Pakistan?
- Is Hindi a national language 1
- Should atheists change their name to observers
- How can I expose a false prophet
- Which language is more simple Thai or Chinese
- Is virginity no longer important
- What childhood snack should you bring back
- How many Muslims are there in Australia
- Narendra Modi knows about Quora
- Can a narcissist and / or sociopath change?
- Are there men like Rahul Dravid
- Why do guys bully girls they like
- The queen speaks Gaelic and Welsh
- What is the government actually doing
- Can sleep disorders be cured
- Are material things unspiritual
- What are the political issues of Kerala
- What is the law of indian government
- Why is Siebenbuergen related to vampires?
- What are shadow people