Can dogs get hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids in Dogs
Based on scientific studies, the main cause of hemorrhoids lies in walking upright, which means that only humans can suffer from the disease. However, it turns out that dogs can have hemorrhoids too. Neither a correct center of gravity as a human nor movement on four limbs is 100% insurance against this nasty disease. The reality is that despite all the scientific papers, veterinarians still have to diagnose hemorrhoids in dogs.
Why dogs develop hemorrhoids
This disease in pets is an enlargement of the veins that surround the anus. This condition can be localized both inside the rectum (it is called internal hemorrhoids) and outside in the area of the anal ring.
The main causal factor in the development of this disease in animals is constipation and, as a result, the hemorrhoidal veins are not fully released. The veins are blocked and their patency is significantly reduced. After there is a decrease in the tone of the venous walls and as a result of the formation of sealing cones. If we talk about it in simple language and compare the jar with a rubber tube, if one of its parts becomes thinner, then under a certain pressure, the thin wall inflates like a bubble. The blood stagnating in a vein expands its walls more and more, they become thinner and sometimes cannot withstand the load, which leads to the formation of a cone with blood content.
A similar condition can occur for a variety of reasons, be it like that in humans, a sedentary lifestyle, or food that is unsuitable for dogs. It is worth considering in more detail what leads to the appearance of hemorrhoids. The main reasons are as follows:
- Diet - non-compliance, overeating, high-fat foods;
- excessive physical activity, heavy loads;
- Lack of walking, lack of exercise and exercise on site;
- hormonal disorders;
- Lack of vitamins and microelements;
- Dry food that contains ingredients the dog's body cannot digest, such as legumes;
- Lack of body balance of water and salt, dehydration.
Experts recommend that those who will have a four-legged friend pay special attention to puppy food choices. Stressful situations, changing the feeding time or changing from one feed to another can cause disturbances in the water balance. In most cases, the change in hemorrhoidal nodes in puppies occurs during active growth and the formation of muscle and bone tissue, this period falls from 4 to 7 months of age.
In addition, severely neglected helminth invasions adversely affect the activity of the sections of the stomach and intestines, as well as metabolic processes, which, in turn, leads to the development of hemorrhoids.
Signs of Hemorrhoids in Dogs
For comparison, if we consider the symptoms of hemorrhoids in different types of pets, such as dogs and cats, absolutely identical conditions without differences occur in both cases. Most often, dog owners reveal the following:
- Feces change their consistency, become drier;
- the anus is hyperemic and swollen;
- Clumps of mucus and blood appear in the feces;
- Animal can change gear.
In the latter case, the animal can rub backwards on hard surfaces, which in most cases is associated with the presence of worm-like parasites. In fact, with hemorrhoids, the dog is trying to get rid of itchy sensations.
It is not enough just to suspect the presence of a disease in a pet. It is worth contacting a specialist for a full diagnosis. Only an experienced veterinarian can determine if the animal is concerned about the inflammatory process in the hemorrhoids or if the cause is something else. After all, according to the study, hemorrhoids often turn out to be hernia formation, rectal prolapse or inflammation of the anal glands in dogs.
Treatment of hemorrhoids in dogs
In fact, upon closer inspection of the methods of treating hemorrhoids in dogs, they are no different at all from those used on hemorrhoids in humans. Therapy is also based on revising and adjusting the pet's diet:
- from the menu of a dog, the products that provoke constipation are cleaned;
- High-fiber feed is added, which has a positive effect on digestion;
- Easily digestible dishes are preferred.
Such measures will help relieve the dog of heavy bowel movements and reduce the inflammatory process in the anus.
So that the dog does not suffer from constipation, you can regularly give it as a castor oil supplement. The daily rate is based on the weight of the pet.
To speed up the recovery process, you often need to take the dog for long walks and visit special areas with him where the pet can show his activity. As the dog moves, the body naturally stimulates blood flow from the resulting hemorrhoids.
In relation to the medical treatment of the disease in dogs, the same medicines are used here as in relation to the treatment of the disease in humans. To get rid of bleeding in a pet, hemostatic candles are used - Relief, Procto-Glevenol. To eliminate venous insufficiency, venotonic agents are prescribed - Detralex, Phlebodia-600, Venarus. They must be given to the dog with the food.
Washing and showering the rectum with the help of an enema with a brew of medicinal herbs is useful, except that not every dog agrees to such a procedure. But even in this case, it is possible to treat the anus with useful solutions. Hygiene is very important in this case! Contaminated inflammatory areas can cause inflammation to spread to other areas.
So far, there has been disputes among doctors, and not just, about the effectiveness of popular recipes for hemorrhoids. However, their correct use, observing the dosages and rules of preparation, will definitely give positive results. Therefore, baths and tinctures for the disease can be used in pets.
For the preparation of the hemorrhoid baths, you can use the following herbs: marigold flowers, burdock root, St. John's wort, yarrow, sage. The most powerful anti-inflammatory plant is chamomile.
Baths have several advantages over other treatment methods:
- When hemorrhoids are most often used in cold baths (you should expect that the temperature of the solution should be 3-4 degrees below the pet's body temperature), which will significantly reduce swelling and reduce hemorrhoids.
- Practically no medicinal herb has only one property - most of them act as antiseptics, hemostatics and analgesics, many of which help regenerate damaged tissues. Such a series of actions will make it possible to get rid of the disease from the pet's body much more quickly and without harm to the body.
In the fight against hemorrhoids, sea buckthorn oil has proven itself well (experts recommend using a pharmacy drug to avoid the risk of bacteria entering the affected areas). It is an excellent antiseptic and can heal cracks in the hemorrhoids in a short time. It's easy to use - soak a cotton swab in oil and place it in the dog's anus. I have to say that this tool is especially effective at the beginning of the development of the disease.
In addition to drug therapy and folk remedies, sometimes it is necessary to resort to surgical intervention. This usually happens in the late stages of the disease or with certain complications.
Most often, local anesthesia is used, in a sick animal, sections of the skin and mucous membrane are cut out. If the pet shows severe anxiety or aggression, general anesthesia is possible.
The veterinarian overfills the base of the inflamed nodule and completely eliminates the source of infection. If necessary, restorative therapy is used, but most of the time it is not used. If the surgery is done properly, the dog will recover fairly quickly.
Although this method poses certain difficulties, it completely protects the pet from relapse of the disease. The owner of the dog takes care of the proper diet and activity of the pet, protects him from the appearance of hemorrhoids.
Headings: Veterinary |
- Are the western media biased towards Russia?
- Where is downtown Austin TX
- What exactly does a varied diet mean?
- Smoking marijuana causes memory loss
- Can communism and democracy work together
- Are ENTP women unpopular
- What is the most beautiful Chinese poem
- Why is Australia infested with deadly animals
- Uses China crypto currency
- Why is there no world government?
- Is a good Chinese female name
- How much are cremation diamonds worth
- What is the price elasticity of demand
- When and how did Jimi Hendrix die
- 3D printing has a future
- What are brainwashing symptoms
- People have love problems
- How is Narayana CO Kaveri Bhavan
- What if your company is taken over
- Where can i see korean shows
- Is Egypt a great country to visit
- Homeowner insurance covers sinkholes
- Is Trump right about Islamic terrorism