Where do slum dwellers have sex?
Brazil: The wild life in the slums of Rio de Janeiro
Nobody knows where the rumor came from, but in early April it's everywhere. The Red Command, Rio's most powerful drug cartel, is planning an invasion of the Vidigal favela. A few days later, school children saw five men with assault rifles in the nearby forest. And then a message arrives from a neighboring favela: There were five dead when the Red Command marched in. Next, they say, it's Vidigal's turn. The main prize.
A few months earlier, on behalf of GEO, I moved to the favela, to a windowless room by the rainforest, where clothes go moldy faster than fruit. Through the thin walls in the labyrinth of alleys you can hear the neighbors' sex and their children's bedtime prayers, but the view in front of the door compensates for that: it leads over a sea of red houses to the Atlantic Ocean and the beaches of Ipanema and Leblon, those golden stripes between mountains and sea, which made Rio famous for its main export product: lifestyle.
In the past four years, Vidigal has become cool, as the city's first favela. More than a thousand foreigners have settled in the poor district, there are lots of samba parties, even stand-up comedy and fashion shows, luxury apartments and sushi restaurants are being built. Apparently David Beckham and Madonna bought houses, but no one can confirm these reports.
Curious? You can find the whole article in GEO Magazine 08/2016 "The Art of Letting Go".
- How do you define conservative libertarianism
- Where are the Tongans from?
- What kind of bed linen do hotels use
- American Airlines flights can be postponed in advance
- Are Christians really descended from Esau?
- What is the CRM in Salesforce
- How can I resign within a month
- What caused the forest fire in Alberta, Canada
- What is considered a career killer
- What is the ICJ
- Why should I never visit Uzbekistan
- How can I avoid happy apathy
- Was the Chinese mentioned in the Bible?
- How do I find meaning in life
- Why are Indians cynical about everything
- Are there still communists in your country?
- How many grams are in 1 pound
- What makes us laugh and why
- What is Martial Law in India 1919
- Prefer Ram Mandir in Ayodhya
- Are Bangladeshi Asians
- Why do everyone hate Hitler?
- Why is self reflection so difficult
- Should criminal records become confidential
- How do TV companies pay for individual channels
- Has Adolf Hitler replied to Gandhi's letter
- What are the similarities between the Caribbean
- Have people forgotten why Trump hates Mexico
- Who is Dua Lipa
- What is Africa's Politics for Independence
- What does a person really need
- What was the old world order
- Should Indians take the problem of intolerance seriously
- Could Greece be a potential ISIS target?