Is useful to Rahul Gandhi
India: Controversial Citizenship Law entered into force
The "Law to Supplement Citizenship Rights" gives Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Christians and other religious minorities who fled Afghanistan and the neighboring states of Pakistan and Bangladesh, which are also predominantly Muslim, the right to Indian citizenship. However, Muslims are expressly excluded from this.
Among India's 200 million Muslims, the regulation exacerbates fear of further discrimination by Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Hindu nationalist government. The three opposition-ruled states of Kerala, West Bengal and Punjab announced that they did not want to implement the law.
Modi had campaigned with the promise of reform
Opposition leader Rahul Gandhi of the Congress Party accused Modi of trying to divide Indian society. The center-right Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) filed a lawsuit against the law in India's Supreme Court.
During last year's election campaign, Prime Minister Modi called the reform of citizenship a “correction” of the “mistakes” made over 70 years ago when the Indian subcontinent was divided. At that time there was a division into the predominantly Hindu India and Islamic Pakistan, which also included Bangladesh. Modi owed his clear re-election in May 2019, among other things, to his “Hindus First” policy and the incitement of his Indian People's Party against Muslims and Islam.
The secular nature of the state is in danger
The protesters see the regulation as a violation of the constitution, which defines India as a secular state and guarantees freedom of religion. The headlines across the country are currently 200 Muslim women who, despite the freezing cold, have been blocking one of the main access roads to the Indian capital New Delhi for four weeks. The police sometimes use brutal force against the protesters. - In Germany, too, human rights activists and aid organizations such as missio Munich criticized the law.
(kna - sk)
- Is beer cheap in Goa
- What's wrong with Indonesia
- Mindfulness meditation can be done anywhere
- Which are upcoming Bollywood films
- Spicy food can kill you
- What is your favorite political ideology
- How much does a Bugatti Chiron cost
- How are postcodes written?
- What did Leonardo da Vinci paint about?
- How can citizens help government employees
- How do you get domain privacy
- Is Netflix open source
- What does Hindi
- What is meant by classical European literature
- How do cultural barriers affect communication?
- Why can't democratic countries vote against democracy
- Who is the cruelest fictional character
- What do Russians think of Lenin?
- Will Batman be Bruce Wayne on Arrow
- Are guardian spirits real
- When should someone take an antidepressant?
- How can you get a migraine quickly
- Did Gandhi tolerate the caste system
- What does Chanakya say about friendship