Why do people believe that Satan exists
The devil embodies the contradiction to God.
The devil is portrayed in the Bible as an opponent of God. Its goal is to destroy people and God's creation. He embodies the contradiction to God.
Another word for devil is "Satan". This comes from the Hebrew and originally means "enemy". It means someone who stands against someone else and wants to prevent him from doing his thing (1 Kings 11:14, 23:25). “Satan” is also a proper name in the Old Testament. Satan accuses people before God. He is the one who accuses people of being judged before God's throne. Also in the book of Job he tries to make people and the world bad before God. He wants to stir Job against God (Hi 1,6; 2,1).
The Greek word for devil is diabolos, which comes from the verb “confuse”. It appears frequently in the New Testament alongside "Satan". The devil wants to prevent God from setting up his kingdom. He encounters Jesus, for example, as a tempter (Mt 4,1-11) and as an enemy (Rev 12,9). Jesus casts out many demons who were seen as servants of the devil (Mk 5: 1–20; Mt 8:16). In John's Gospel, the devil is the one who rules the world (Jn 12.31 [KC8]), but is ultimately overcome and defeated by God.
Belief in the devil determined the first centuries after Christ and was particularly strong in the Middle Ages. Even the reformer Martin Luther was sure that he had seen the devil with his own eyes. Today most Christians no longer believe that there is a visible and physically tangible devil. However, there is still evil in the world.
Further content and links
Is there a devil only in the Catholic Church, or is there also in the Protestant Church?
Answer: For Martin Luther, the devil was a reality. He threatened the world and people. Faith in God was salvation. Luther, however, turned against the idea that one had to work for this salvation. He came to the realization that God meets people with grace and one does not have to work for faith. So it was clear to him that all people who believe are safe from the clutches of the devil. Luther also assumed that there are still evil forces in the world. For example, he thought the Pope or the Turks attacking Europe to be the Antichrist.
The Antichrist is a figure that appears mainly in the letters of John. It is associated with the so-called end times, i.e. the time in which Jesus Christ comes again (second coming of Christ). At this time the Antichrist is the adversary of Christ, that is, the one who tries to prevent God's work at the last minute. However, Luther also used the word “antichrist” in the literal sense: In his opinion, the fact that there is a Pope was not Christian. It harmed Christianity.
There is evil in the world. Since the Enlightenment, it has been questionable whether evil can be personified, i.e. whether evil can take shape in a being like the devil. In the Middle Ages the devil had a face, he had a concrete form, horns, a horse's foot and so on. He even got a kind of biography: It was said that he was an angel who had rebelled against God and was therefore rejected by him. He then reappeared as a snake in paradise and seduced people. This picture is no longer represented in today's theology. Today it is believed that evil is a reality that transcends individuals. For example, evil can be hidden in structures of action and systems that destroy life. It is not always clear where exactly. In the 20th century, however, more and more Christian currents emerged again, which view concrete events - such as the world wars, atheistic communism or worldwide diseases - as works of the devil.
more on the subject
- What's your favorite song from Camila
- Is 1 3 + 1 100 rational
- How did television affect you
- Law is an interesting job
- What are some Nihonjinron theories and claims
- How does the universe exist
- Narendra Modi is a historical leader
- What is your writing style
- What is the Reuters news agency
- Is Malayalam a usable language
- How do you globalize a local company
- How did Aurangzeb kill Sambhaji Maharaj
- Does the freedom of speech also apply to shouting?
- What is Article 15 in the Constitution
- How do you hide money from someone
- What is meant by Vedic astrology
- Skunks are predators
- What is the greatest failure of capitalism
- What are the most common good investments
- Python dictionaries are ordered
- What are the military ranks in the world
- What is your favorite song
- Which country causes the highest CO2 emissions?
- Which television series had the worst finale
- Are there anti-Zionist Jews
- What makes India beautiful
- What did Donald Trump sacrifice
- Who are India's Highest Taxpayers
- Do you know a migraine cure
- When did the continents part?
- Where can I get chiral quartz crystal from
- What does a major investor do
- Is the governance of the BJPs worse than that of Congress?
- What are the reasons for moving to France?